[docs] I understand this is not a bug, but ..

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pydocs at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 16:21:54 EDT 2019

On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 8:30 AM Ola K <ola at aquarius.se> wrote:
> What is the difference between an "editor of choice" and a "python interpreter"?

Hi Ola,

This question would be better suited to the python-tutor mailing list,
tutor at python.org (see https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tutor).
It's a great place to ask questions and learn from some very
knowledgable and friendly people!

To give you an answer, though: a text editor ("editor of choice" being
whichever text editor you like to use) is any program that allows you
to edit plain text files (Notepad on Windows, TextEdit on macOS, or
gedit on Ubuntu, *not* WordPad, Google Docs, or LibreOffice), while a
Python interpreter is the program usually called "python" (or
"python.exe" on Windows) that reads the Python code that you write,
interprets it, and tells the computer what to do.  Usually, programs
are written to a file using a text editor and then the Python
interpreter is directed to run the code in that file, but it is also
possible to input code directly using what is called the "REPL", or
Read-Eval-Print-Loop (however, anything written to the REPL cannot be
simply saved to reuse later).  The standard Python distribution
downloadable from python.org includes IDLE, which is an example of an
IDE (Integrated Development Environment) which provides a text editor
and an interface to the Python interpreter's REPL bundled into one
program.

I hope this answers your question, and I do encourage signing up to
the tutor list for far more in-depth answers to any of your Python
programming questions.

Regards,
Zach