[Python Edinburgh] =?utf-8?Q?Re=3A_?=Python IDEs

Dougal Matthews dougal85 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 15:23:11 CEST 2010

        On Monday, 25 October 2010 at 14:09, Mark Smith wrote:Dougal's right that Pydev's auto-completion can make life a lot easier if you can't quite remember the name of a function, but Eclipse is a bit of a behemoth.I used to have a problem remembering where to import a function from rather than the name itself. With pydev it has a nice feature that you can hit ctrl + space after typing something, like "login_" then you will see various options and one of them should be login_required (in django.contrib.auth.decorators iirc) when selecting that it'll finish the function call and add the import line at the top (but not in alphabetical order - grrr).I've never actually found a replacement for this functionality but I've gotten used to not having it either. The danger here is that it can sometimes import from the wrong place (where is still works but its not the official API) - importing CharField from django.forms.fields rather than just django.forms for example.Now if I need to fi
nd something I tend to just ack[1] for it and I have a copy of the source tree for most bit projects I work with.Dougal[1]: http://betterthangrep.com/