[Python Edinburgh] Meeting 'Minutes' - August 2010

Dougal Matthews dougal85 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 11:39:54 CEST 2010

On 31 August 2010 12:04, Mark Smith <mark.smith at practicalpoetry.co.uk>wrote:

> The meeting last Tuesday went well! Eight of us met up at Bert's Bar. They
> have
> a live band from 7.30 every Tuesday night, which was good - just a bit loud
> for
> our purposes, so after eating we moved across the road to Teuchters, which
> was a
> bit quieter. This worked well, so we plan to stick with this, unless there
> are
> any complaints!

I'm certainly happy with this plan. The food was good and there was a decent
selection of beer. Teuchters across the road had a fine selection of whiskey
too. (This sounds like Drinking Edinburgh not Python Edinburgh right?)

> * Remain as a drinking club.

I think this is something that should keep going despite what other
arrangements we have. It's really easy to setup and we only really need a
few people to be interested to make it work. It's also great fun.

* Organised Hack Sessions

I'm really keen on this. It would be really good fun and there would be
great scope for learning. We are all coder after all so what would be a
better thing for us to do? I think a good format for this might include some
form of lightening talks or short presentations perhaps related to the
sprint.

To give those that didn't make it a feel for the group I thought it would be
good to mention some of the topics that were discussed that didn't directly
relate to the future of the group. We had many discussions but these are
some of the topics that I was involved in; Working or contracting for local
and UK companies, Django, meta classes, version control systems and and many
others, even including internet explorer (shudder).

Hopefully get to see some more more of you there next month!

Dougal