[Python Edinburgh] Talk: A deep-dive into Python classes

Ed HAWKINS ed.hawkins at st.com
Wed Mar 9 16:16:13 CET 2011

Awesome Mark! I hope to attend...

From: edinburgh-bounces+ed.hawkins=st.com at python.org [mailto:edinburgh-bounces+ed.hawkins=st.com at python.org] On Behalf Of Mathew Taylor
Sent: 09 March 2011 08:43
To: Python Edinburgh
Subject: Re: [Python Edinburgh] Talk: A deep-dive into Python classes

Sounds great, looking forward to it!
On 8 March 2011 16:37, Mark Smith <mark.smith at practicalpoetry.co.uk<mailto:mark.smith at practicalpoetry.co.uk>> wrote:
Hello all!

Towards the end of last year I floated the idea of giving a talk on Python classes which appeared to be pretty well received. I've finally got off my backside and booked a venue, so...

On the 28th March at 7:30pm, I will be giving a talk for Python Edinburgh at The Outhouse, called "A deep-dive into Python classes". I think it's an intermediate to advanced talk, and I plan to cover initialisation and inheritance, how attributes are stored and accessed on Python classes and objects, how this affects methods, how some common method decorators actually work, and some interesting things that can be done using these techniques. I don't plan to cover metaclasses, although they may be touched on.

The practical benefits should be the ability to design Python object hierarchies so that they take full advantage of Python's dynamic nature. I'm hoping to give the talk at Europython this year, so any encouragement/feedback would be most appreciated!

I plan for this event to be instead of the March pub meetup (it is in a pub after all), although it is a week later and on a Monday (I couldn't book our usual date or day-of-week, unfortunately) - if you think this isn't a good idea, let me know. If other speakers step forward I'd like to arrange more of these events, either on a regular or ad-hoc basis.

--Mark