[Python Edinburgh] Spyder help

G.K.CH. gkchamielec at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 23:00:33 CET 2013

Hello Pythons,

I want to ask for some help in setting up Spyder and Python(x,y) and all
the rest for my engineering work.

I am building a program to analyse induction motors. I have written a raw
code, I will work on some graphics (torque to speed curve etc) and I want
to build a GUI.

I did some research and spend a couple of days on installing and
uninstalling plenty modules I had no idea what they were for. Running some
examples. Generally messing about.

I had a little success with running my code in IDLE. It pops up results I
wanted.

Yesterday I found out that the best way would be to install a nice package
designed for engineers called Python(x,y), which I did.

Then I loaded Spyder and I run into some problems:
Spyder shows: NameError: name 'runfile' is not defined.
I could just ignore Spyder and continue with IDLE but... it bytes me that
such a nice interface as Spyder is not working as I would like.
Also: I don't quite understand the difference between IPython and standard
Python, I don't know what "console" is or if it matters if something is in
kernel or not and stuff like that. Just basic general know-how.

I study at Napier and can come anywhere with my laptop with my stuff on it
for a little inspection.

I am plumber and electrician by trade so I can fix a leak in return.

Thanks,
Kris