[Python Edinburgh] Python for Data Analysis?

Douglas Houston douglasrhouston at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 22 09:00:45 CET 2014

Does anyone have this book?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Python-Data-Analysis-Wrangling-IPython/dp/1449319793

I'm thinking about my planned future use of Python and what I want to do
with it.  I'm looking to get into data science and using it to train
machine learning algorithms. The following shows the Coursera courses I've
signed up to (10 in total) to learn how to do this.

Should I use Python (in which case a book like this looks useful), or
should I use R?

My R and Python skills are probably on a par right now, but I'm unlikely to
have the time to get properly fluent in both at the same time any time
soon, so I have to make a decision.

The Data Science Coursera course is focussed solely on R, so perhaps I
should just roll with that?

Any one have any advice?