[Python Edinburgh] Pub Meetup Tonight

José Moreira zemanel at zemanel.eu
Tue Feb 25 12:43:27 CET 2014

Hopefully i'll be able to attend today. As food for thought, something
i've been wondering recently is creating an open source web
alternative for a c/Profile visualization tool (processing and
charting .prof dumps).

There a few tools for that, some of which are not easy to install on
OSX/Windows and a web alternative would allow for example
collaboration:

- http://alleyoop.sourceforge.net
- http://www.open-works.net/projects/valkyrie.html
- http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/runsnakerun/

Some of the features i'd like to see on this tool would be:

- users and teams
- ability to create "projects" to aggregate dumps
- ability to associate machine hardware specs to dumps for context
- ability to chart perf data across several dumps (time series /
performance over time/multiple runs); others
- ability to export (download) data as CSV and most importantly, an
iPython notebook with static data in the first cell (for example) so
that it could be custom manipulated (matplottlib, so on) or even
pre-developed notebooks with charts already in place

I've been gathering opinions from people (i admit not being an
aggressive user of profiling) and feel free to reach me and comment
today!