[Python Edinburgh] Talks!

Magnus Hagdorn magnus.hagdorn at marsupium.org
Wed Sep 3 12:07:05 CEST 2014

On Wed, 2014-09-03 at 10:42 +0100, Bald, Glenn wrote:
> The reason I ask about GIS is I think python has a lot of potential in
> GIS. I use for ArcGIS on Oracle. Also interested in it's use with QGIS
> never heard of gdal (will look up).

Python is used by ArcGIS to automate any processes within ArcGIS, ie you
can program ArcGIS in python.

gdal is one of the libraries used by qgis or grass. I might be able to
direct you at useful python packages to do particular bits of GIS
processing. We have people use python with ArcGIS to automate processes.
Another big area is processing of satellite images.

Python is great in a scientific environment, it is easy to use and
learn, there are plenty of good modules and you are not limited to a
particular problem domain. We recommend python where it makes sense and
see a huge uptake by academics and postdocs. We are now starting to
teach our undergrads python.

Cheers
magnus