[Python Edinburgh] A quick poll!

John Spray jcspray at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 12:25:59 CEST 2014

I'm replying here because one of the good things about our existing
mailing list + IRC setup is the openness, and the ability to speak
freely rather than being polled into a statistic.  Plus I just hate
web surveys, but I didn't want that to stand in the way of sharing my
views.

Talks: yes, but they're not essential.
Combined or separate events: separate.  Trying to find one
venue/timeslot that fits both purposes is a pain.  More importantly, I
would like any new initiatives to stand on their own two feet before
cancelling/displacing the existing meetup.
Could you give a talk: not going to pre-commit here.  Find a
date/venue/format first.
Sponsor: no, and I'm not comfortable with joe-random-group-member
publicly offering sponsership opportunities on behalf of the group.
It is very much preferable to seek out free spaces first, and accept
sponsorship as a last resort.
Ever given a talk: yeah.
How long have I been coming: 3 years ish
Meetup.com: would prefer if this went away.  It wasn't appropriate to
create this on behalf of the group without discussing it first, and
the existing mailing list is fit for purpose.

Python Edinburgh has been a successful event for years, and especially
over the last year it has grown markedly in popularity, to the point
where we've moved venues to accommodate the extra people.  Part of
that success has been the informal and flexible nature of the group.
It is important to respect that, and respect the existing group when
proposing new things and changes.

John