[Python Edinburgh] Talks!

Ian McConachie ian at ianmcconachie.com
Wed Sep 3 12:37:54 CEST 2014

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking on this mailing list for quite some time but maybe
should now stick my hand in the air.

I think that PyLadies is an excellent group. I used to teach computing
at college and one of the issues that we were always trying to find
solutions for was attracting women into computer science.
Any initiative that presents a women friendly path into the programming
community can only be applauded and supported. I was very pleased to see
the emergence of the Edinburgh group, well done Becky.

I joined this mailing group a few years ago and attended one pub meetup
which turned out not to be what I was anticipating. Everyone was really
friendly and welcoming but due to the nature of meeting in a pub, I felt
like I was gatecrashing on a group of friends having a regular get together.

It would be interesting for someone to think about how many people, like
myself have come along to only one metup.

I think the more structured approach of talks and workshops would offer
a better environment for new people to come along and feel welcomed into
the group. Then maybe more people will feel comfortable in joining in
the pub meetups as well.