[Python Edinburgh] EuroPython is coming to Edinburgh: You should volunteer!

Mark Smith judy at judy.co.uk
Fri Nov 17 04:30:52 EST 2017

Hi all,

You've probably seen the email Dougal posted to the list, but if you're not
familiar with EuroPython, the significance may have been lost.

EuroPython is (I think) the largest Python conference outside of the US -
it currently boasts 1200+ attendees each year. Many really significant
Python developers attend, including Guido van Rossum many years. It moves
around Europe; In the past 5 years, it has been hosted in Rimini, Bilbao,
Berlin, and Florence - we're in good company!

The main body of the conference consists of 3 days of talks, with 5
different talks going on simultaneously, so there's plenty to choose from!
There are also workshops, and sprints, where you get to work alongside
amazing people to help make Python software better. It is a wonderful,
supportive environment, and they encourage new speakers - EuroPython was
where I gave my first Python talk outside of Edinburgh, and I've since
given talks there several times.

You should consider submitting a talk, no matter what level of Python
experience you have - a common problem they have is that not enough
beginner-level talks are submitted. But you have time to think about it -
the Call For Proposals has not yet been announced. I'll mail the list when
it is announced, or follow the EuroPython blog or Twitter account.

But, MOST IMPORTANTLY: VOLUNTEER! EuroPython is a community conference, and
is run by volunteers, not for profit. It is a safe space, and has a
detailed and enforced code of conduct. They specifically need local
volunteers. You can submit your details on the form here:
http://www.europython-society.org/workgroups - select the "Other"
workgroup, and enter "On Site" - and you can select multiple workgroups if
you wish. The more people volunteer, the less work is actually involved for
each volunteer, and the smoother things will run. (Incidentally, I am *not*
running this conference - just a volunteer)

I'm super-excited about this, and I hope you are too. For many, I suspect
it will be your first opportunity to attend. You'll learn new things and
make new friends - and you get to show off your country to the World!

Let's do this.

Mark