[Edu-sig] Beyond 3D

Arthur Siegel siegel@eico.com
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 10:03:02 -0400

There seems to be general agreement that the use of simple, dissectable 3D
Python stuff could make an appropriate and potentially interesting and
exciting
context in which to introduce younger folk to programming. I and many others
have espoused that basic position here, with disagreement (sometimes
vehement) over only
the details.

There has been less discussion (there may have been some early on that I
could have missed) about
doing simple communications stuff. The circa 2000 equivalent of building
your first radio by wrapping
wire around a coil, etc, and hearing some faint music through an earphone -
which I and probably others
remember fondly (and which kids are still doing today).

Pinging a remote url, and retrieving something etc. Sending and picking up
E-Mail,etc

I know as a young programmer (in a not so young body), getting access to
this kind of thing can generate a lot
of interest, immediate gratification and sense of being introduced to the
mysteries behind the scenes.

Beyond presenting the concept, I am totally unqualified to speak on it, as
it is an area about
which I know little to nothing.  But does anybody have any ideas along these
lines?

ART