[Edu-sig] Update: Python & the "Math Wars"

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Tue, 04 Apr 2000 10:16:15 -0700

At 12:52 PM 04/04/2000 -0400, Arthur Siegel wrote:
>Kirby -
>
>Welcome back - truly.

Thanks Art.

I see several connected issues.  First, what a lot of
people say when I talk about my interest in getting more
computer langauge phased into K-12 is:  "my son/daughter
is required to have a TI-xx (Texas Instruments calculator
model xx) in order to take Math yy (e.g. Algebra II).
That seems reasonable, as calculators are cheap these
days, but how could schools reasonably require that
my student have a real computer -- even if we could
afford one, many other families would be hard pressed."

Some possible answers:

* use some of the money we'd save from not spending
  so much on text books to subsidize the purchase of
  computers -- provide vouchers towards a computer
  purchase

* use computers in school but don't assign homework
  that presumes access in the home

* loan/rent computers through the schools, and recycle
  them as parts wear out -- could be an alternative
  next to subsidized purchase (schools support both
  options -- depends on the family which way to go)

* accept hand-me-down equipment from corporations
  seeking to upgrade, and wanting to donate amortized
  equipment (perhaps for a tax write-off on top of
  the amortization), train students to assemble
  systems from cannibalized legacy systems

This last option is being used in Oregon, I think with
some success (I learned this at a luncheon with then
Education Secretary in 1997, at the Math Summit at
OSU, in the new CH2M Alumni Center).[1]

Basically, I think this is a bigger issue than just
whether junior has to have a computer to pass algebra.
It's about the potential rift in society, between haves
and have nots in the information age.

I think we need to address the reality here, given
the trend towards computerized polling, banking,
services of all kinds.  The computer has become a
basic tool for navigating our quasi-democracy and
those with an internet connection have many strategic
advantages over those without.  If we're to do anything
more than give lipservice to democratic ideals, we have
to think of ways to make computers available to all who
want/need them.

Kirby

[1] http://www.teleport.com/~pdx4d/mathsummit.html