[Edu-sig] RE : walky-talky

Bryan Hann bryan.hann@pobox.com
Sat, 08 Apr 2000 14:14:54 +0800

Arthur Siegel wrote:

> David Scherer got the walky-talky done in 30 lines of code.
>
> I ran two localhost sessions and had my DOS prompt talking to
> my DOS prompt.
>
> Putting aside the technical stuff related to the socket module, the
> thirty lines cover an awful lot of Python syntax.
>
> I think a lot of students would be all ears in getting a handle on this kind
> of magic.

[code snipped]
[David Scherer's code snipped]
 [mailto:dscherer@cmu.edu]

I think so too.  Cool.  :)

Would not the students find it a drag to have to key in an IP
address?  Sure they would.  Would they be keen to seeing and
extending a little name server?  I think they would.  Would
they like to run the walky talkie from their homes and try
chatting to their friends?  I'm sure they would!  But it is
a drag to deal with dynamicaly allocated IP addresses.  How
about a long running process at school that would let you
register your current IP address and availability?  That sounds
great!  Guess what students?  You've created a rudimentary ICQ.
A few years ago someone did what we just did, but just a bit
fancier.  Guess what?  He's a billionaire now.  No kidding!

This is the sort of thing I would *love* to do with a high
school class.  (In middle school I might prefer to help them
build a computer from scratch!  Well, a combinational circuit
for starters.  (Real hand-wired finite state machines next year,
perhaps?)  *g*