[Edu-sig] On the front page

Arthur Siegel siegel@eico.com
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 13:25:43 -0400

> "Cognitive load" is jargon, and probably doesn't mean what you think.

Kirby makes the same point, and I stand corrected (and a little embarassed)
on
my layman's interpretation.

But getting beyond the semantics/jargon -

One specific place I know I saw the term used in the Alice dissertation is
in
connection with their use of 'up, 'right', 'forward' instead of X,Y,Z axis
references. Which again is fine to me if you're building a VR system.

But, if we are going to allow ouselves to use 3D computer graphics as an
educational
tool - and I am adamantly pro doing so, shouldn't one of the main points in
doing
so be to expose as much of the underlying mathematical framework of it as a
stduent
can handle at whatever level we are teaching.

Rather than protecting students from it?

Make math exciting, yes. 3D graphics is a new way to do that, never before
available.
A natural.  Yeah Kirby.  Yeah me, in fact.

But you need to make the connection, not hide it.