[Edu-sig] More on RPN example

Gordon Worley redbird@rbisland.cx
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 20:34:15 -0400

With the major focus on math that we have on this list, I think I
should mention about by RPN (Reverse Polish Notation) project again.
While as a whole the project is a bit large for students to take part
in, they could focus on learning how stacks work and how RPN
expressions are different from algebraic ones.  Because few students
have used RPN, they see it as a different system for algorithems than
the algebraic stuff their used to, so, in a way, it is like a proto
programming language to them.  I realize that many teachers may not
be aware of how RPN works, but a quick search on Google
<http://www.google.com/> turns up some good tutorials within the
first five links that can help get one started.

At the moment there is not documentation, which will hopefully be
forthcomming, but the text-based python program (thus cross platform)
does have some online help will get one started.  Also, more advanced
students in need of a simple project may wish to contribute (dispite
my earlier note) by helping me expand the range of supported
operations (I have the five basic functions and exponents, plus stack
operators).  Anyway, this may be something a little bit more down to
Earth for those of you weary (or not, if you prefere) of using 3D to
teach programming.

All this can be found at <http://www.rbisland.cx/brew.html#scripts>.
I hope that this project is of interest to some of you and can aide
you in teaching students (and maybe yourselves) to program better.
--
- Gordon Worley
http://www.rbisland.cx/