[Edu-sig] Interactive Numeracy

Dethe Elza delza@antarcti.ca
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 10:26:27 -0800

Hi Kirby,

I agree that it's not an all-or-nothing approach, and I really like the idea
of small, loosly-coupled tools working together.  I just think that direct
manipulation is a powerful learning tool.  I've written to the VPython folks
about string output as PovRay data and their response was, "why?", but some
others seem to want that too, so it may happen.

My main problem with VRML is the lack of consistency between viewers. Each
seems to implement a different subset of VRML with their own extensions,
making it really hard to do things cross-platform.

I was very focussed on Java for a long time, and built a simplistic 3D tool
which ran in the AWT, but I've been concentrating on Python lately.  Python
is something I heard about years ago, sounded cool, but I never found the
time to learn more.  Now that I've discovered just how cool it really is,
I'm diving in with both feet.

One of the things that draws me to Python is this idea I have in the back of
my mind (and in copious notes over the years), called "Programming for the
Fun of It."  I was going to use Java to explain programming to non- or
part-time programmers, enough to learn some good habits and build cool
stuff.  But I want to focus on good habits and design, not on teaching
language fundamentals.  It's bloody hard to do that in Java.  In Python, I
think it's feasible.  We'll see--I've got my wife and kids to use as guinea
pigs, if I can teach them to program and enjoy it, then I'm ready to write
the book.

--Dethe