[Edu-sig] Re: important programming languages

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 12:59:49 -0800

>Teachers mostly won't support this "math through programming"
>approach unless the text books publishers do, but the text
>book upgrade cycle is way way too slow.  Enter the web, and
>the option to drive the upgrade cycle on "internet time".

Hence I try to propagandize in favor of "math through programming"
on the web, in the form of realistic, doable lesson plans,
other posts suggesting what teachers *could* be doing -- if only
they would:

See: "On using big numbers to open new horizons in K-12"
     http://www.mathforum.org/epigone/math-teach/zhahcrafah

for a most recent example (contains a typo or two, still
highly usable and suggestive).

Kirby
Curriculum writer
Oregon Curriculum Network