[Edu-sig] Programming for the fun of it

Don Hansford donh@halenet.com.au
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 07:26:50 +1000

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 13:02:28 -0800
Dethe Elza <delza@antarcti.ca> wrote:

> So, I've been working for awhile on the how of teaching programming
> non-geeks.  What I think is a more important question, is Why?  Why
> should someone be interested in learning to program?  I'm not
> talking
> about convincing them to give up their day job, or learn higher
> math,
> just to have an interest in occasional programming.  Here's my first
> cut
> at some possible motivations, but I'm very interested in finding
> more:
>
> * Build problem-solving skills
> * Learn math
> * Create toys
> * Fix the software you use

Only if it's Open Source :-)

> * Understand computers and the digital world better
> * Extend the software you use

See above :-)

> * Create tools you need.
>
> Any ideas?

* A better grasp on why some software has limitations
* Personally, I found a basic knowledge of programming a huge advantage when working with databases

--

This Email is 100% Virus Free!
How do I know? Because no Microsoft

Regards Don Hansford
ECKYTECH COMPUTING/
SQIT Warwick
<SuSE Linux 6.4>

"We're tired, we're wired, and our breath smells bad --
-But at least our Operating System doesn't suck!"