[Edu-sig] Programming for the fun of it

Dennis E. Hamilton infonuovo@email.com
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 08:37:33 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: edu-sig-admin@python.org [mailto:edu-sig-admin@python.org]On
Behalf Of Alan Gauld
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2893 15:44
To: Don Hansford; edu-sig@python.org
Subject: Re: [Edu-sig] Programming for the fun of it

>> * Fix the software you use
>
>Only if it's Open Source :-)

We've already seen this stated but its not true.
Most software packages nowadays contain macro capability
and in the case of MS Office those macros are written in
a programming language - VBA. Thus knowledge of programming
frees the Office user of the restraints of the received
code and allow them to "fix it" in the sense of writing
their own versions of buggy features.

So no, Open Source, wonderful tho' it may be, is not the
only case where this topic applies. (And anyone who has
written any sreerious VBA code knows that it is most
definitely programming in the general sense! :)

Alan g.