[Edu-sig] Re: Reinventing the wheel...

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:32:12 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000 Kirby Urner <urner@alumni.Princeton.EDU> wrote:

> had to agree.  So how do we "lower a ladder" to middle
> and high schoolers starting from there?  I think Python
> is part of the answer.
>
> In sum, none of the content I'm covering in my curriculum
> writing is really new.  All that I'm doing is wiring up=20
> the topics in a somewhat different way, changing the mix,
> reorganizing the hyperlinks. This is a fairly conservative
> approach, in other words.[2] =20
>
> However, I think the result could be a much higher level=20
> of math appreciation for younger students (or for adults=20
> returning for more), plus better segues into computer=20
> science, for those wishing to go that route.

I have to come out of lurk-mode for a moment to say how glad i am to see
what kirby (and others) is doing - from my casual tracking of it, it
sounds like something i *very much* would have liked to have around when i
was first learning this kind of math.  It sounds like something i'd enjoy
now, for that matter!

Thanks, kirby,

Ken Manheimer
klm@digicool.com