[Edu-sig] re: PyGeo

Arthur Siegel ajs@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 26 Dec 2000 20:28:29 -0500

Dethe,

Thanks for the interest.

PyGeo is a basic dynamic spacial (3d) geometry app.  One defines geometric
relationships by Python script and then can manipulate the resulting
construction interactively, observing the change on the construction as a
whole from a change in position of some point defining the construction.

The rendering is all with PyOpenGL, the matrix math with Numeric, the rest
just Python. I did do a Java3d vecmath clone "wrapper" around Numeric (in
Python) to allow one to access Numeric using method calls more standard to a
3d graphics matrix library.

Performance, on complex constructions, sucks. Whether that's my coding (my
Numeric "wrapper" is suspect from a performance point of view), Tkinter, or
whatever.  But it is quite spunky on simpler constructions.
And performance, for its purpose, (the codes the text), is mostly besides
the point.

Now with compiled PyOpenGL and Numeric again available I will put it up
again where interested folks might take a look.

I hate doing HTML - so I won't hold it up to do a "page".  I'll simply put
it up where it can be fetched. Tonight, tomorrow.  I'll note it here with a
cite when its available.

ART