[Edu-sig] Quick and simple

Steve Litt slitt@troubleshooters.com
Sun, 06 Feb 2000 16:06:03 -0500

Two facts I have not seen disputed on this mailing list:

* More of the populace needs to learn how to program
* Present day Python is the best existing language in which to teach.

So why not just make an alpha-test little textbook and carriculum using
present day Python. Recommend an existing simple editor (notepad in
Windows, pico??? in Linux). Include a few
edit/compile/run/record_errormessage scripts to shift all thinking
activities to actual program design. Get it used in a few places and
constantly improve it.

As feedback comes pouring in, we'll have much more information on all the
issues being vehimently discussed.

If use of editors and other present day Python properties lock out six year
olds, that's regretable but not a show stopper. If we can interest and
train high school students today, and over time provide material to include
younger and younger students, we've done our job well.

Thanks

Steve

Steve Litt
Webmaster, Troubleshooters.Com