[Edu-sig] Hello from a CS Teacher

Dustin James Mitchell djmitche@cs.uchicago.edu
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 15:21:38 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Randy Latimer wrote:

>   It's a tough process trying to get teachers to use a new
> curriculum.  You need a strong set of materials and good teacher
> training and something that tells the teachers that there's
> a benefit for them to take the time to learn a "new" way.

So in light of this and the AP problem, do we have any hope of introducing
Python at the High School level, or would our interests (CP4E, not Py4E)
be better served by developing a sensible, effective, well-supported
environment in which to teach C++?  Is there anything else we can do to
gain wider acceptance of our ideas?  Could we offer alternatives to the
APs?  Is there any process by which we could appeal to the AP board to add
Python as a possible language?

Thanks for your insights!

Dustin

|                         Dustin Mitchell                )O(        |