[Edu-sig] More math-teaching

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:08:56 -0800

To edu-sig@python.org FYI, memo sent earlier today
Kirby

PS:  for more re 'Math Trek' (mentioned below), see
http://home.att.net/~mathtrek/

=======================

To: Ivars Peterson
    Science Writer
    MAA columnist

Fr: Kirby Urner
    Curriculum writer
    Oregon Curriculum Network

Howdy Ivars --

Just wanted to bring your attention (if you have any to
spare) to some very recent curriculum writing I've just
web-published:

  http://www.inetarena.com/~pdx4d/ocn/numeracy0.html
  http://www.inetarena.com/~pdx4d/ocn/numeracy1.html

I consider these pages good summary examples of how
K-12 math could be rekindled with interesting and
challenging new content.

Many educators already share my intention to include
more exposure to computer languages in K-12 math (we
were doing this at McGraw-Hill in the early '80s).

I see computer language as an alternative way of
expressing math-related ideas in human-readable --
yet machine-executable -- form.

The software engineers have finally gotten us to
the point where we're able to _clarify_ math concepts
using their codes, not just further obscure them
behind a lot of machine-specific verbiage.

Thanks again for getting 'Math Trek' out there.  I'm
looking forward to 'Math Trek 2'. From what you've
said about it so far, it sounds like it'll make a
very useful addition to my working syllabus.

Kirby

PS:  I'm reading your 'Jazzing Up Euclid's Algorithm' at
http://www.maa.org/mathland/mathtrek_2_14_00.html -- we
probably share the notion that "numeracy" and "computer
literacy" are not wide-apart, entirely separate goals.