[Edu-sig] Future of CP4E after CNRI?

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 10:51:30 -0500

> I just wonder what to expect for the future of CP4E given
> the most recent developments, with people leaving the CNRI
> for an new environment at BeOpen or joining from other
> places?
>
> If anything, I guess we can at least expect the core Python
> development activities to be determined by comercial inter-
> ests from now on. A first sign of this is the renaming of
> Python 1.6 to 2.0 based more or less on marketing reasons.
>
> Maybe there are good reasons to believe that CP4E will have
> a bright future, now more than ever, and I'm just unable to
> see them? Maybe there are good reasons to believe that Be-
> Open as a rather unknown new player has a real interest and
> concrete advantage in promoting Python and CP4E that are
> simply not obvious to everybody?

Dinu,

I share your concern!  BeOpen was originally optimistic about finding
money for CP4E, but more recently they have other priorities (based
I'm sure on where they can get money -- I'm not privvy to details).

CNRI is dropping it as far as I can tell, they have nobody to work on
it that I know of.

I still hope that the ideas can continue: there's ActiveState's
Programming for the People, and certainly IDLE is still on our list of
projects we support.  Also, Jeff Elkner and others are quietly working
on producing and posting more teaching materials...

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://dinsdale.python.org/~guido/)