[Edu-sig] Queens, NY - PYTHON Programming for Kids

Dirk-Ulrich Heise hei@adtranzsig.de
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 08:41:43 +0200

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: "Kirby Urner" <pdx4d@teleport.com>
> simplex also means "tetrahedron" BTW, in the 3D case),

Didn't know that.
You see, down and out here at the ex-iron curtain, universities
have to produce lots of computer scientists without having the
money for it so they'll chase them through a lot of math stuff
hoping most of them will sign off (which works, they can regulate
it quite easily, but it doesn't help against boneheaded people
like me). (At the moment, their output is 33% higher than 5 years
ago 'cause we need more computer scientists in our tiny
economy right now)

Which doesn't mean the math professors are bad in any way;
it's just that when a CS prof explains an algorithm he often
doesn't use the kind of geometric interpretation a math prof
would give; and the math prof is for one or another reason
not about to explain the Simplex algorithm.

I think this supports your point of mixing math and CS some
more very strongly. Okay, okay, and it's not a metaphor.

Dipl.Inform. Dirk-Ulrich Heise
hei@adtranzsig.de
dheise@debitel.net