[Edu-sig] Kirby Urner's Sieve of Eratosthenes

Ka-Ping Yee pingster@ilm.com
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 13:55:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Dustin James Mitchell wrote:
> Which brings me to an interesting point -- Python is great for many kinds
> of math/programming lessons, but it has one critical flaw in its
> implementation of the lambda operator, as you mention above.
[...]
> you run into a frustrating brick wall when you try to include local
> variables in the lambda.

Indeed.  This is an important flaw, in my opinion, and (like
many others) i'm hoping it will be addressed in Python 3000.
It's listed as one of the things we hope to fix.

It amounts to more than just the convenience of creating lambdas,
for me -- it's really an issue of lexical scoping as a fundamental
property of the programming language, and has far-reaching (good)
implications.

-- ?!ng