[Edu-sig] More math-teaching

Dustin James Mitchell djmitche@cs.uchicago.edu
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 18:57:02 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Kirby Urner wrote:

> To: Ivars Peterson
>     Science Writer
>     MAA columnist
>
> Fr: Kirby Urner
>     Curriculum writer
>     Oregon Curriculum Network

I know this was a long long time ago, but some other posts reminded me.
I read and reread Mr. Peterson's books during middle- and high-school,
because they were fascinating explorations of mathematics written at an
accessible but not belittling level.

Kirby, did you hear anything back from Mr. Peterson?

Perhaps we could consider following the course of Mr. Peterson's books?
Perhaps he's interested in working with us?  It seems that his works would
provide a wonderful textbook to which we could attach a series of support
programs...  That is, give modules to do the display of some fractals, and
set students free with The Mathematical Tourist.  Or perhaps write code to
support some randomness experiments to accompany The Jungles of Randomness
(anyone read this?)

I'd like to see this forum create something solid, or at least the designs
of something solid.  Kirby's done that on his own, and I think his work
serves as an excellent model for work we should continue.

Dustin

|                         Dustin Mitchell                )O(        |