[Edu-sig] More math-teaching

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Fri, 03 Mar 2000 06:44:53 -0800

>Kirby, did you hear anything back from Mr. Peterson?

Yeah, he and I have some correspondance going back a
ways.  He knows I'm into Bucky Fuller, which is
somewhat controversial in that Dr. J.H. Conway at
Princeton thinks Fuller's stuff is a waste of time
(as per recent posts to the Math Forum).

But I was a philosophy major (at Princeton too it
so happens) and interpret 'Synergetics' in light
of my background in Wittgenstein.  I get quite a
bit of value out if it, including stuff I can use
at the K-12 level, as a curriculum writer (a fact
Conway has said he finds distressing).

I go into this because Ivars (Mr. Peterson) has
made some links to Fuller's synergetic geometry
in his books (e.g. in 'Jungles of Randomness') and
plans to do so again in the upcoming Math Trek 2
(part of what he's written to me about).  Rather
courageous of him I'd say, given all the prejudice
against doing that.  More details at my website
(e.g. see http://www.teleport.com/~pdx4d/bio.html
-- including 'For Further Reading').

Kirby