[Edu-sig] Things to come

Arthur Siegel siegel@eico.com
Fri, 12 May 2000 14:09:37 -0400

> Squeak is big, no question, although I thought CinCom's
> SmallTalk more professional (I guess that's not the point).

So can we say that curricula should lead - not language or
interface?

If one wants one can say that my interest in a Python based curricula
is an irrational decision.  Certainly I have done no real study of
of the benefits of Python over alternatives - Scheme, Squeak, etc.

Python worked for me, I believe it will work for others. That's what
I'm going on - and for myself that's good enough.

But my frustration on this list.

I don't understand the point of the greatest teaching language and
interface on the planet, without a curriculum.

Other than cottage industry efforts like Kirby's and mine - how does
that happen, short of going hat-in-hand to Disney.

If Disney just wanted to quietly hand out endowments to the worthy, great.

But their advertisement on Sunday afternoon said nothing (other than
'Disney' and 'Learning')
and would have funded maybe a 100 computer labs. More polemic. 100
inner-city computer labs.

To me it would be tremendously naive to believe that the extent of their
interest in education in America is as a concerned corporate citizen, even
if they
might believe it themselves - today.

This analysis is not coming from a left or anarchist view-point.

But I am re-thinking my pro-voucher position.