[Edu-sig] Re: Long Integer Fractions

Matthias Felleisen matthias@rice.edu
Wed, 17 May 2000 12:11:18 -0500 (CDT)

   As I recall, SmallTalk has native integer fractions.  Scheme too?

Scheme has had precise rational arithmetic from the beginning.

You should also know that the first AP case study for the C++ exam focused
on large ints. If you approach schools with this material, you must know
what exists. Otherwise AP teachers will think you're uninformed and you're
just trying to push a new syntax on them.

In general, you should know that the teachers on this list are not
representative of teachers, esp AP teachers, in general. Most teachers are
too undertrained and too busy to understand the fine details of languages,
programming principles, and so on. (I suspect most would work in industry
if they had more training. There are some dedicated teacher-souls.)

Read up on your competition.

-- Matthias