[Edu-sig] Long Integer Fractions

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Fri, 19 May 2000 04:10:20 -0400

[Dennis E. Hamilton]
> At some point, I would recommend section 1 of Volume 1 because it also
> establishes the mathematical concepts needed for the series of books,
> including basic number theory and other topics that are applied to great
> advantage in volume 2 and beyond.  This might fit your interests
> perfectly.
>
> There is also a book on concrete mathematics that Knuth and a couple of
> his buddies put together, but the material in Volume 1 strikes me (no
> mathematician) as pretty challenging and interesting already.

"Concrete Mathematics", by Graham, Knuth and Patashnik.  A *much* better
choice than Knuth Vol 1:  CM was written because Vol 1 proved too
telegraphic and intense for most students to master.  CM pays much more
attention to motivation, skips the highly esoteric results, and fills in
some of the many gaps in Vol 1.  Even so, the subject matter is difficult at
points and the book makes no apologies for that, or for its refusal to
"dummy it down".  Most of it remains college-level material.

somebody-should-teach-uncle-don-how-to-use-a-computer<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim