Ramble - was RE: [Edu-sig] Long Integer Fractions

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Fri, 19 May 2000 07:48:59 -0700

>Please, whatever country you're from (I'll include mine as well!) can you
>remember that year NAMES for students don't mean anything outside your
>country? Things like "first grade" or "freshman", or even terms like "high
>school" or "college", don't mean anything outwith the national context.
>Saying what AGE you're talking about is a lot more useful (although even
>then it's not necessarily too much help - my son will start formal school at
>age 4, but I believe in Germany it wouldn't be until age 7, so talking about
>requirements for a 5 year old might be odd).
>
>Tibs

Good point.  I remember how mystified I was going from 2nd grade
into the 1st form at the Junior English School (Rome, Italy).

Given I don't think we're talking very many school systems
here, it might be easier to just learn the differences, and
internally translate from jargon to jargon.

Here's the US system:

  P  Preschool
  K  Kindergarden

Grade Age (average)
  1    6
  2    7
  3    8    Elementary School
  4    9
  5   10
  6   11

  7   12    Middle School (or Junior High)
  8   13

  9   14    Freshman
 10   15    Sophomore   High School
 11   16    Junior
 12   17    Senior

 13   18    Freshman
 14   19    Sophomore   College
 15   20    Junior
 16   21    Senior

Some variations exist.  Your mileage may vary.

Kirby