[Edu-sig] Re: Programming for non-programmer IT professionals

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:30:48 -0800

Thanks for the tip.  Here's the Amazon URL:

It'd be fun to swap course outlines or lesson plans showing
how Python might integrate more tightly into medical
informatics.

In my own work, I'm exploring the potential links between
HCL and XML.  How could we describe our patient-encounter-
procedure-subprocedure model in XML, or would that be the
best way to go?  Having a patient-centric view, with both
linear/temporal and current data is one way we want to
present info.  An aggregate/statistical view, with patients
sorted by demographic attributes (for example) is another.
These are the generic sorts of problems that lots and lots
of people are working on, in many different ways.

Links:

http://puck.informatik.med.uni-giessen.de/people/messaritakis/hl7xml/
http://www.infoloom.com/gcaconfs/WEB/philadelphia99/alschuler.HTM
http://www.info.dsdc.dla.mil/Partners/HL7.html
http://medicine.ucsd.edu/f99/D005484.htm

I haven't done anything with Python in this area (yet) and
would be interested in seeing what others might be doing
along these lines.  Curriculum writing which spells out
aspects of HL7-XML integration, using Python as a teaching
language, would I think be a useful component in medical
informatics (using Python Standard Library XML features,
plus 3rd party enhancements).

One idea here is to anticipate the new and existing component
architectures wherein Python modules will be able to
participate in harmony with other components written in
other languages (COM, .NET etc -- I gather from reading
the Python stuff that there's quite a bit of interest in
getting .NET and Python working together).

See: http://www.microsoft.com/net/default.asp for more on
the .NET thing.

Kirby