[Edu-sig] Now I went and did it!

David Scherer dscherer@cmu.edu
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 14:50:36 -0400

> So now I need to put on a dog and pony show. It must be so interesting to
> kids that they don't get bored or fidgit. I think that calls for some sort
> of action game. And it must clearly demonstrate that it fills an
> educational need to the parents.
>
> It seems to me that Python + Idle + some of the ideas I've seen expressed
> on this list would do the trick. Whaddya all think? Kirby -- any ideas?

<shamelessplug>

If you haven't already, why don't you take a look at the 'visual' module?
(part of VPython)

http://cil.andrew.cmu.edu/projects/visual

I didn't design it for writing action games, but it can do the kind of 3D
stuff Kirby has been doing with Povray, and do it in real-time so that you
can rotate around an animation, interact with it, etc.  For some reason
there aren't any great screenshots online, but please download it and play
with the demos.

I think it will help you put something both flashy and educational together.

</shamelessplug>

Also, are there any particular subjects that you want to get involved?  i.e.
is the objective to teach about computers, or to teach arithmetic, or is
*any* application of technology in the classroom okay?

Dave