[Edu-sig] Now I went and did it!

Steve Litt slitt@troubleshooters.com
Wed, 04 Oct 2000 16:16:24 -0400

At 02:50 PM 10/4/00 -0400, David Scherer wrote:
>> So now I need to put on a dog and pony show. It must be so interesting to
>> kids that they don't get bored or fidgit. I think that calls for some sort
>> of action game. And it must clearly demonstrate that it fills an
>> educational need to the parents.
>> It seems to me that Python + Idle + some of the ideas I've seen expressed
>> on this list would do the trick. Whaddya all think? Kirby -- any ideas?
>If you haven't already, why don't you take a look at the 'visual' module?
>(part of VPython)
>I didn't design it for writing action games, but it can do the kind of 3D
>stuff Kirby has been doing with Povray, and do it in real-time so that you
>can rotate around an animation, interact with it, etc.  For some reason
>there aren't any great screenshots online, but please download it and play
>with the demos.
>I think it will help you put something both flashy and educational together.

vPython looks like a great tool for at least part of the job, assuming it
runs under Linux (I couldn't tell from the website). I'd need to have
something kewl from a kid point of view, but educational from a parent
point of view.

>Also, are there any particular subjects that you want to get involved?  i.e.
>is the objective to teach about computers, or to teach arithmetic, or is
>*any* application of technology in the classroom okay?

The objective is to present an alternative to the Microsoft propaganda.
That's all.

Once the alternative has been presented, I'll get back with edu-sig to
create something that *actually facilitates child learning*. But this first
one is just propaganda, just like Microsoft's dog and pony show.

Steve Litt
Webmaster, Troubleshooters.Com