[Edu-sig] Now I went and did it!

Econoprof@aol.com Econoprof@aol.com
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 19:42:27 EDT

Jason gave a very detailed syllabus but as a parent of a very bright eleven
year old (who is desperate for some open source opportunities at school) I
would argue against getting so technical in fifteen minutes.

I suggest you explain what open source is, give some very cool examples of
open source software (hmm, we saw some killer astronomy apps demonstrated
recently that would do quite nicely).  Of course show  Python and ALice and a
few others. And mention the open source office suites.

THEN start the revolution.  Get the school to let you use the computer lab
one night a week for a month.  Announce at your demo that you are going to
offer an open source workshop with an installathon at the end. Limit
enrollment.  Get the math teachers involved..offer them their own workshop.
The school can't lose because the lab is there anyway, and they are getting
free technology training.   There have to be some other parents around who
could help mentor programming, which would be the next free workshop.  Just
think, an open source magnet school!  I'm waiting for this to happen at my
son's school.  Hmm, maybe I should recruit some volunteers.

Joan Combs