[Edu-sig] Teaching Middle-School Math with Python

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Fri, 06 Oct 2000 12:41:45 -0700

At 01:56 PM 10/06/2000 -0400, Jason Cunliffe wrote:
>> I'm teaching in a linux envrironment now, I'll check around for a linux
>> logo, but I think unfortunately it's only part of the windows/mac world.
>> Randy
>> On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Steve Litt wrote:
>> > I've heard excellent things about logo. Is there a Linux port?
>I am sure a Python logo already exists.
>If not it should be pretty easy for a Python adept to do.

Python Logo??  Linux Logo I'd understand, but Python and Logo
are two distinct languages, the latter having roots in Lisp.

When it comes to mapping a trajectory through the languages,
it could go like this:
   Logo -> DrScheme -> Other Lisps (AutoCad, Emacs)

   Python -> C++ (or C#)

   Python -> Java (possibly via JPython)

Which isn't to say Python can't be an end in itself (same with Scheme
-- not so sure about Logo).

>An obvious advantage is that, unlike Logo which is usually powerful but
>isolated, PythonLogo immediately puts one at the interactive prompt for
>doing anything, including Kirby' work and much else to come.
>- Jason

Tell me more about Python Logo.  I know the standard Python comes with
a turtle class as one of the Tk demos.  Is this what you mean?