[Edu-sig] Now I went and did it.

Arthur Siegel ajs@ix.netcom.com
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 10:08:37 -0400

Jason wrote:

>2.2 Geometer' Sketch Pad Interactive geometry type applications.

>What I am thinking of is the things which let you directly play hands on
>with lines and circles and develop a really intuitive feel for geometry.
>Sort of like these:
>http://www.maths.gla.ac.uk/~wws/cabripages/inversive/inversive0.html
>http://java.wiwi.uni-frankfurt.de:8080/java/owa/jr_qurres?>vappletno=3144
>[Sorry cant find any more precise references right now]

How about it we took the concept further, were truly innovative and extended
the concept to 3d.

My precise references is http://www.python.org/sigs/edu-sig/ wherein is
mentioned:

PyGeo
Dynamic geometry software in the tradition of Texas Instruments' Cabri
Geometry II(TM) and The Geometer's Sketchpad from Key Curriculum Press, but
extended to 3D - written in Python using the PyOpenGL and NumPy extensions.
By Arthur Siegel.

I keep vowing to myself to stay off the list, but this is too frustrating to
let go.

Withdrawn from the market do to lack of interest - for reasons I never
understood.

And then the concept mentioned on a EDU-SIG wishlist of things that sound
great and nobody will every actually do - except that this one has actually
been started in a significant way.  Too frustrating.

Oh well....

Actually have redone it as web-enabled Java. Cool stuff in my humble
estimation for anybody interested in geometry, integrated with exposure to
programming - the code is simple and explorable. The analytic geometry
behind the code sometimes gets a bit hairy - but the link between analytic
and synthetic geometry is now made direct and concrete through the code.
Something only accomplishable through an
opensource approach - which is why the approach leaves the commercial
efforts in the dust, as a pedagogical tool.

Don't know how to generate interest, though.

Certainly never accomplished it here.

ART