[Edu-sig] Now I went and did it.

Steve Litt slitt@troubleshooters.com
Sun, 08 Oct 2000 17:18:01 -0400

At 04:15 PM 10/8/00 -0400, you wrote:
>I find myself become more of an instant nutcase than testcase when I look at
>even this trivial example:
>
>(define (area-of-disk r)
>  (* 3.14 (* r r)))
>
>A voice inside my head starts saying "No. Stop no!"

Jason,
I've been programming C since 1984, and my reaction is identical to yours.
Whatever that thing is, it's not normal C/Python/Perl/fortran syntax, nor
is it reverse polish as far as I can see. I cannot *even imagine* how a kid
would understand that syntax. Personally, I'd feel much better if it were
3.14*r*r or 3.14*(r**2). Or even 3.14 (r r *)* or 3.14 r * r * would be
preferable to the syntax you quote. The syntax you quote is quite
unfathomable to me.

My opinion only.

Steve

Steve Litt