[Edu-sig] Re: Teaching Middle-School Math with Python

Matthias Felleisen matthias@rice.edu
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 12:00:19 -0500 (CDT)

Kirby ..

The goals of TeachScheme and your goals are similar, not the same.
We want to bring programming to mathematics and (here is the diff)
"mathematics" to programming. (Watch the quotes before you flame.
They mean something.) If you succeed, I am happy. It's an improvement
over what we have in schools. Indeed, if you succeed, we don't need
Scheme.

You also write:

>  and that's knowledge you can intelligently build on, not dismiss as
>  irrelevant or (worse) incapacitating.

I don't know what this means. I didn't dismiss Python and your idea of
teaching in middle schools. We have done it and I wrote a note on our
experience.

I believe that TeachScheme is a better vehicle but I wish you luck.

-- Matthias