[Edu-sig] socratic methods

Stephen R. Figgins fig@monitor.net
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 14:32:17 -0700

> I found http://www.cybertracker.co.za/ and a neat article
> at  http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/computing/1998/981106124.asp
> but couldn't find anywhere to download it.. do you have a link?

I don't yet.  But I am getting a copy of it on CDROM from the Wilderness
Awareness School, one of the shool's founders, Jon Young, did the North
American sequence.

  http://www.natureoutlet.com/

> I bet there's all kinds of applications for this idea, and having
> access to this kind of expert system/mentor system on a palm pilot
> could make it even more powerful.

I agree.  Jon Young, who has lots of experience tracking and even
designed the sequence say he finds it useful in the field.  It helps him
to pause and consider options he might not otherwise have remembered in
the moment.

> maietic?

oops. maieutic is the actual spelling.  From the root maia, meaning
midwife.  It's another term for Socratic method.  The teacher helps in
giving birth to the knowledge in the student, drawing the knowledge out
of them.

> I think I'll map out my hypothetical recusion/fibonacci lesson
> as a graph and post a link to the edu-sig for comments..

I look forward to it!

Stephen