[Edu-sig] OO in K-12

Jason Cunliffe jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 14:32:45 -0400

> At the considerablel risk of sounding one note -
>
> Look, for example, at O'Reilly's Java in a NutShell.  Java's OO is
> introduced via geometric objects.  A drawable circle, inheriting from
> an abstract circle, if I remember correctly.
>
> The beauty being you then see the object you created,
> as an object as you created it, etc and etc.
>
> I might have mentioned (ha-ha) that I worked up something
> called PyGeo that tried to build on this approach.
>
> Why doesn't the concept work for you?

If  you are on Win32 there is the lovely FlashObject dll by YiYi Sun.
I have been experimenting with it a little in Python.

Because SWF  itself is intrinsically object-oriented, and has built in time
and sequencing, it presumably makes an excellent environemt with broad
delivery platform for visualizating and exploring Bio-related ecosystems,
or smart-geometry type programming in Python.
Plus beautiful graphics with tranpsarency, buttons, sound etc.

http://www.geocities.com/yiyisun/
"Bukoo is a package which contains 3 Windows COM Objects to create Flash
movie. It is based on Macromedia Flash SDK. The VC++ classes in the SDK is
wrapped with COM objects. One can use these objects in Delphi, VB, ASP or
any other programming environment that supports Automation Objects to create
Flash movie without Flash yet most importantly by your program dynamically."
..There maybe a Java version in the works..''

An further direction for this would may be SVG which keeps it keep its
object semantics intact.
Being XML-based Python is well suited for the job.
A good start is http://www.adobe.com/svg/main.html

hth
- Jason