[Edu-sig] It's not socket science

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:13:14 -0700

>I've played with wxpython and the Pythonwin interface and didn't
>have any real problems.  I deleted all that stuff when moving up
>to 2.0.

Actually, it's all still on my drive, but hasn't been working
since installing 2.0.  In the past, I've been able to use both
Art's PyGeo and the Visual packages.

Right now I'm going through Lundh's book, which you can download
as an Acrobat file for $12 from Fatbrain.  He kindly sent me the
source examples this AM, after I asked about 'em -- the book
says you can get the code from his web page, but there's no code
to be had.

What's challenging right off the bat is he uses hyphens in all
his module names, so you can't use import blat-blat because
hyphens are a no-no.  You get around this by going
__import__("blat-blat") -- but then I'm still floundering
around trying to force a reload...

Lundh's book has more of that sockets stuff that gets you out
on the internet, which seems to be a hot topic.  In the old
days, we'd say it's "not rocket science" with "rocket science"
presumably representing some pinnacle of difficulty.  But the
culture has moved on, and I think "it's not socket science"
might better capture the mood.  Or we could say "Socket science
-- NOT!"

Kirby