[Edu-sig] Looking for feedback on new Python training software

Tom tom@malcolmson.com
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 13:21:59 -0400

I've been working on some software that monitors the activity of running
python applications, and that I think (hope) could be valuable for teaching
Python.

www.malcolmson.com/pyspy

Before Python I learned C++.  This was a mistake: I should have learned
Python first (and maybe last).  But for any computer language, it seems to
me that learning and mastering the language would be greatly fascilitated by
a better understanding of what is happening when you run your program.  So I
decided to write an application that would visualize this, showing what was
happening (in terms of objects, references, functions, etc.) when a Python
program ran.

Now I've ended up with something both more and less than I intended.  More
because I think it could develop into a variety of different tools.  Less
because I've been so busy with the core that I haven't done much on the GUI.
But maybe that's OK, because I don't have experience with training or
education so I'm probably not the best person to write an educational
interface.  I should probably stick to the core and let somebody else write
the UI.

This leaves me a bit uncertain about how to proceed, so I appreciate your
comments and suggestions,

Thanks,

Tom.