[Edu-sig] And now for something completely different...

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:39:07 -0700

Speaking of "math through programming", just wanted to share
some of my latest results from exploring Python + LiveGraphics3D
and Python + Povray.

LiveGraphics3D is a Java applet by Martin Kraus, free for non-
commercial purposes, that takes Mathematica graphics files (.m
extension) and presents them in a web-interactive context, complete
with mouse-controlled zoom, rotate, and a stereo viewing option
(you have to cross or splay your eyes to see the stereo -- a
learned skill).

I've taught my polyhedra to display themselves in .m format, via
a lg3d.py module, so now I can provide browsers with interactive
views such as found at:

       http://www.inetarena.com/~pdx4d/ocn/lvmviews.html

For a long time, I've been using the Python + Povray synergy to
generate colorful polyhedra, mostly in wireframe.  But one should
remember that Povray is a sophisticated rendering engine with a
lot more to it.  With a little spit and polish ("search and replace"
in the Povray editor), simple cartoony renderings may be transformed
into more expensive-looking sculptures, as here:

       http://www.inetarena.com/~pdx4d/ocn/concavedodeca.html

This gets us into the realm of "math + art" -- always a fertile
realm (good book:  'Connections: The Geometric Bridge Between
Art and Science' by Jay Kappraff -- which is just coming out in
a 2nd edition this month, April 2001).

Kirby