[Edu-sig] Re: [Tutor] Off topic musings

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 18:50:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001 alan.gauld@bt.com wrote:

> One recurring theme in these "State of the Practice" papers
> was the lack of a fundamental theoretical basis for computing.
> i.e. there's nothing comparable to the laws of physics in
> software engineering.

[some text cut]

> Since I am sure this isn't original, who has done this stuff
> before? - Where can I get papers or books on fundamental
> information representation/transformation theory? I assume
> there must be something? somewhere?

David Gries has written a book called "The Science of Programming" which
states a framework for writing mathematicaly correct programs.  I bought
it after seeing Jon Bentley's recommendation in "Programming Pearls".

As is typical with me, I haven't really gotten past Chapter One yet.
*grin* Still, from what I can glean, Gries uses the power of logic and
assertions to show how people can be confident in a program's correctness.
There's also a chapter on "inverting" programs which looks like a lot of
fun.