[Edu-sig] RE: [Tutor] Off topic musings

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 10:44:11 +0100

> > One recurring theme in these "State of the Practice" papers
> > was the lack of a fundamental theoretical basis for computing.
> > i.e. there's nothing comparable to the laws of physics in
> > software engineering.
>
> David Gries has written a book called "The Science of
> Programming" which states a framework for writing mathematicaly correct
> programs.

Yes, there are many books and papers on programming correctness but
few on the nature of information. Specifically I am intereted in
any work on layering of information structures. Looking at how
information itself is structured and operated upon. This is different
to programming which is only one very narrow subset ofg information
processing.

Alan g.