[Edu-sig] Re: Encouraging students to plan

Jeff Sandys sandysj@asme.org
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 11:03:22 -0800 (PST)

I have asked the students to do a storyboard frame, a
picture and short discription of what the program or
sub-program is intended to do.  It should list the
inputs, outputs and actions.  When a student asks me
a question the first thing I ask to see is their plan.

when advanced students do projects for teachers, I ask
them to write a contract, or oppertunity evaluation in
P+ terms.  This is just an informal statement of what
the program should do.  Then they do the storyboards.

I am currently doing this with Logo and plan to
continue using the same process with Python.

Thanks,
Jeff Sandys